Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Safari on Windows - a review

So today (or in fact yesterday because I finally am posting this at 1:11 am) Apple released a beta version of their web browser Safari. I took the bait because whenever I have looked at a site in Safari (on a mac) it rendered a web page completely different than Firefox, Opera, and IE. To be fair I have noticed differences in the way a page is rendered between Firefox on Windows and Firefox on Mac, I'm just hoping this isn't the case for the windows and mac versions of Safari. I'm tired of having to go through every single version of every browser to find a happy medium, it's either that or writing a different CSS file for every browser and having a javaScript or PHP function to select the correct one for the appropriate browser.

After using Safari for a day, well not quite a day because it was hard to use it exclusively, I have found some pros and cons.

The first pro is that it seemed to render faster, i.e. the Digg page that announced the product to digg's users and has over 8300 diggs and 1134 comments at the time of this writing (a recipe for a very big web page). It also has a very slick looking interface, my history carried over from firefox after install, and more real-estate for the web page.

My main con would be that Safari doesn't implement add-ons yet (I must have ad-block, greasemonkey, de.licio.us, and over a dozen other extensions in firefox). This could be coming in the future as Apple's webkit is going open source (the engine underlying Safari). I also was missing Firefox's "spell check this field" feature which I use regularly in forums, comments, twitters, blog posts, digg submissions, and anywhere else I am placing my words on the web.

So yes I'll use Safari, but as it stands it won't be for much more that debugging websites and trying to render large websites (by the way, digg when are you going to page out your comments?). As it stands that is how I use IE, unless I'm watching movies in Netflix's "Watch now" or MLB.tv which don't support Firefox yet (I'm running vista so don't correct me about MLB).

I'm wondering when we'll see the release of the firefox add-ons "open this page in Safari" and "Safari Tab" (Damn I shouldn't of said anything, I could have finally found my first Firefox add-on)

I can see why Apple is trying to make this move, they are trying to put yet another application on the desktops of the Widows iPod users (rumor has it that it will eventually be bundled w/ iTunes and quicktime) to help coerce then into buying a Apple computer once they become familiar with their products but why haven't they incorporated more into the browser. Right now it seems like Firefox lite, which is what Apple seems to do best, they seem to always take the minimalist approach which may hurt or help them in this market. Most of the users I know that have gave up IE on Widows only did so because Firefox gave them more thus leading IE to incorporate more to win back some users. The users I know that still use IE only do so because it is familiar and came with their system. So Safari's only chance in its current state is to appeal to the minimalist user who uses iTunes and the developers who will use webkit to develop what I hope to a long list of Add-ons to rival Firefox and make it a better browser, it still has a long way to go.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home