Monday, November 28, 2005

iShop

Usually I go shopping under the blinding florescent lights listening to muzak or the top forty one hit wonders of yester year that I really didn’t care to hear again but can’t find a reason why I am unconsciously singing all the words with my inner singing voice.

Lately I have circumvented the PA systems of the tasteless DJs of the consumerism Mecca’s with my iPod. Then I wonder what the other consumers would be listening to while they are shopping, is it really what the tasteless DJs are playing or something completely different.

Well he would be listening to AC/DC. She is more of a Faith Hill type. Would she be a Gold Digger strutting to Kanye West as I am? He defiantly got the munchies litening to Phish before grocery shopping trying to hide it with his supply of visine.

It makes me want to program a wi-fi network for iPods and consumerville that would shuffle through every consumer’s iPod in the store and display the picture of the iPod owner on your display in case you feel like striking up a conversation with that consumer. iDating, maybe it would be better suited for a club atmosphere.

Then I walk into Wal-Mart to the words:

"Oh pride is not a sin,
And that's why I have gone on down to Wal-Mart
With my checkbook to get you some.

Like waves in which you drown me, shouting

I know you must've realized by now

And by the lawn chairs there
Next to the racks of guns
Your self esteem is waiting
Canned up in aluminum"

- Mike Doughty from Soul Coughing’s Pensacola

Now I have confessed to shopping at the unethical bastard of the corporate consumer world in my blog. Damn. Well the coffee grinder and realizing what that song was about by actually paying attention to the words was worth the block walk.

1 Comments:

Blogger sp1ral said...

Shuffling through a "shared playlist" over the store's pa is an awesome idea. Creating a sense of connection or community with other shoppers could lead to all sorts of cool in-store events...

iDating is also a cool idea. kind of like sms dating but with more info. :)

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home